Live in Spain and want a property in the UK

​I often get asked this question, and it seems to tie in with concerns around Brexit. I suppose many UK expats would like to cover all bases should they have to return to the UK, and not have to start all over again in the property market. 

So can UK expats earning in Euros get a new ‘first time buyer’ mortgage in the UK ? the answer is yes, but it does depend on the propertys stated use at the outset. 

Firstly, If the property is to initially let out to a tenant, with no immediate intention to return to live in it, then amazingly it is easier to obtain an Expat BTL for first time buyers. 

Secondly, If the requirement is for personal use, to reside in, very few lenders will permit this, however there are some. 

Thirdly, if you want to have both tenanted use and/or personal use, like to do a holiday let / city let with the property, then this is probably the rarest mortgage to find. However as a skilled specialist expat mortgage broker we have some options for this too !

Simon Murphy is an International Mortgage Broker who resides between Spain | Ireland | UK

Having been in finance for over 17 years & as a Qualified & FCA Regulated UK mortgage professional he can give expert mortgage advice to Expats Worldwide, UK residents & those considering buying abroad with a foreign currency mortgage. 


 Thanks for your help and dedication in securing my mortgage. Especially since Id changed my job role recently, without your intervention I may have lost the property! At last I’m packing boxes.. 

Mrs A (South West), Home Mover

Get In Touch


0044 (0) 7456 727 626